- By scanning a patient at two different energy spectra (on an example above, at 56 kV and 76 kV), the attenuation difference of the same material is different.
- Iodine has higher attenuation difference, compared to bone
- With this nature, scanning allows the computer to process bone and iodine content on images differently.
Routine Use of Dual-energy CT for Material Differentiation
- Creation of 3D vascular images ("Direct Angio") by easy removal of bony structures
- Plaque analysis (calcified vs. soft plaques)
- Lung perfusion
- Virtual unenhanced scan (creation of unenhanced scan from enhanced images by deleting iodine content from the images)
- Calculi characterization (uric acid vs. others)