A Growing Need for a New Kind of CT
- We need a better delineation of tissue components than just simple Hounsfield Units
- We need to scan faster to image the beating heart (decrease temporal resolution), esp. in cases with high heart rate, irregular heart rate
What Is Dual Energy CT?
- CT that uses the data of two different energy spectra to display anatomy and physiology (regular CT scans utilize one energy spectrum to create images)
- Dual-source CT describes CT that has two x-ray sources and two detectors mounted on a single gantry. The x-ray sources can produce two different energy spectra, or one spectrum. Dual-source CT can run in either dual- or single-energy mode
What Are Possible Hardware Configurations for Dual Energy CT?
- Two x-ray sources (dual-source CT)
- Rapid kV switching (single-source CT)
- Sandwich detector CT (two layers of detectors detecting x-rays at different energy spectra)
Image credit: medical.siemens.com
Fletcher JG, Takahashi N, Hartman R, et al. Dual-energy and dual-source CT: is there a role in the abdomen and pelvis? Radiol Clin N Am 2009; 47:41-57.