- Fracture at proximal 5th metatarsal at metadiaphyseal junction (within 1.5 cm distal to tuberosity of 5th metatarsal)
- Usually involve 4th-5th intermetatarsal joint
- Sharp fracture margins without intramedullary sclerosis indicate acute fracture.
- May present acutely or in a chronic phase
- Acute Jones fracture has sharp margin without intramedullary sclerosis - usually Rx nonoperatively with NON weight baring cast
- Persistent delayed union fracture will show fracture line in both cortices, callus, intramedullary sclerosis - usually Rx surgically
Nunley JA. Fractures of the base of the fifth metatarsal the Jones fracture. Orthop Clin N Am 2001; 32:171-180.