What Determines Biological Effects of Radiation on Human?
- Type of radiation
- Amount of radiation
- Part of body
- Age of individual
- Biological difference among individual
Non-stochastic Effects of Radiation
- Acute effect, typically with a very large dose in a short time
- There is a threshold dose, i.e. exposure below this dose would not cause such effects.
- Severity (magnitude) of effect is directly proportional to dose.
- Evident in hours or days
- Erythema, burns, cataract, sterility, radiation sickness and death
- Not typical for imaging procedure, which typically employs lower dose of radiation