- Longitudinal, peripheral tear of the meniscus with displacement of fragment toward the intercondylar notch of the knee
- Leads to locked knee and surgery (debridement or repair) is necessary
- If occurs at the outer 1/3 (white/white zone), only debridement; if middle and peripheral third (white/red, red/red zones) require repair
- Using MRI with coronal and sagittal planes
- Look for extra-structure in the intercondylar notch on coronal image!
- Double PCL (posterior cruciate ligament) on sagittal image
- Donor meniscus (usually medial) look smaller than usual (key to differentiate bucket-handle tear from normal oblique intermeniscal ligament)
Stoller DW, et al. Diagnostic imaging: orthopedics. 2004