According to the version #7 (2010) ACR Manual on Contrast Media, the following regimens are recommended for premedication of patients at risk for developing contrast reaction.
- Prednisolone: 50 mg PO at 13 hours, 7 hours and 1 hour before contrast media injection, PLUS Diphenhydramine 50 mg IV, IM or PO 1 hour before contrast medium OR
- Methylprednisolone 32 mg PO 12 hours and 2 hours before contrast media injection. An anti-histamine (as in option 1) can be added. If unable to take oral medication, use hydrocortisone 200 mg IV instead
- Methylprednisolone 40 mg or hydrocortisone 200 mg IV every 4 hours until contrast study required PLUS Diphenhydramine 50 mg IV 1 hour prior to contrast injection OR
- Dexamethasone 7.5 mg or betamethasone 6 mg IV every 4 hours until contrast study PLUS diphenhydramine 50 mg IV 1 hour prior to contrast injection OR
- Omit steroid entirely and give diphenhydramine 50 mg IV