Facts: Insall-Salvati Method
- Patella height expressed as a ratio of patellar tendon length (LT) to greatest diagonal length of the patella (LP)
- Most commonly used method to assess patellar height in all degrees of flexion
- LT = length of tendon = tendon origin at inferior patella to its insertion at the tibial tubercle
- LP = length of patella = diagonal length of the patella
- Normal = LT roughly is equal to LP, any variation more than 20% considered abnormal
- LT:LP more than 1.2 = patella alta
- LT:LP less than 0.8 = patella infera
Our case: LT:LP is greater than 2, this is patella alta due to traumatic complete patellar tendon rupture.
Scuderi GR. The Patella, 1995.